How Your Organization Can Prevent Account Takeover
I've spent my 20-plus-year career in cybersecurity, working closely with IT administrators, CIOs, CISOs, architects, and others to understand what they're up against and the capabilities that would truly help them sleep better at night. Though the tools and technologies have improved enormously in the last couple of decades, enterprises remain under attack. As people conduct more and more business online — both in their personal and professional lives — cybercrime has become big business, more organized and well-funded than ever.
In addition to increased digital commerce, security and IT teams have seen significant changes in the IT environment. With the growth in the hybrid/remote workforce and accelerating cloud adoption, the traditional network security perimeter no longer exists. Now, secure access is based on digital identity, also known as the identity perimeter.
As consumers have spent more and more time making online purchases, their digital expectations have vastly increased. They expect a simple and smooth “Apple-like” customer experience along with strong security for their personal data.
With the acceleration in digital spending, there’s been an increase in related cyberthreats, like account takeover. Account takeover (ATO) occurs when a malicious actor gains unauthorized access to a user’s digital identity account. ATO is often the source of data breaches, theft, and other fraudulent activities. According to a recent Javelin Research report Identity Fraud Study: The Virtual Battleground, account takeover increased by 90% to an estimated $11.4 billion in 2021 when compared with 2020.
Breaches containing usernames and passwords increased 450% in 2020, totaling 1.48 billion breached records.
In breach after breach, the cyberattack cycle now starts with identity. Bad actors seek to gain unauthorized access to a user’s digital account. From there, they pivot between resources, discovering more credentials and other identities to get greater access to the valuable data they’re after. The ability of cybercriminals to exploit one account as a means of entry is the reason account takeover attacks increased 307 percent from 2019 to 2020.
To address these significantly growing security and user experience issues, organizations need a sophisticated solution that removes unwanted friction while strengthening organizational security.
ForgeRock's AI-Driven Approach: Autonomous Access
ForgeRock Autonomous Access is an AI-powered threat protection solution that can help you prevent account takeover and fraud at the identity perimeter. It leverages artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and advanced pattern matching to analyze threat signals and behavior patterns to create risk scores. Autonomous Access is built into ForgeRock Intelligent Access where risk scores are used to orchestrate secure user journeys while removing unnecessary friction and improving the digital experience of legitimate users.
Better Protection is as Easy as 1-2-3
With Autonomous Access, you can treat each login request differently based on its risk score, so you can fast-track trusted users with options like passwordless authentication while stopping attacks.
- Trusted User: A low-risk user who logs in at the same time and location using the same device. User seamlessly logins without friction.
- Anomalous Behavior: A familiar user who may be using a new device or logging in at an unusual time or location. User receives a step-up challenge.
- Known Threat: A high-risk user that is almost certainly malicious, possibly a bot, having failed multiple automated login attempts. Requests can be remediated or fully blocked.
Why ForgeRock Autonomous Access?
Here is how Autonomous Access delivers highly differentiated capabilities that address account takeover:
- Layered Intelligence: A unique combination of AI, machine learning, advanced pattern recognition, and big data provide risk scores to help stop known attacks, flag anomalous behavior, and learn about new and emerging cyberthreats.
- No-code Access Orchestration: Built into ForgeRock's industry-leading Intelligent Access solution, Autonomous Access includes drag-and-drop configuration, making it easy for your teams to create any number of personalized user access journeys based on the identified risk score.
- Built for the Enterprise: Delivered from the ForgeRock Identity Cloud, Autonomous Access is purpose-built to meet the security, scale, and resiliency needs of large, complex enterprises. It's easily activated with the touch of a button, eliminating costly deployment and integration of disparate point solutions.
Prevent Account Takeover with AI-Driven Threat Protection
In today's new reality, you need a modern, dynamic solution to help you achieve your business goals. By applying AI-driven threat protection, you can prevent damaging and costly breaches. Intelligence also allows you to remove unneeded friction for trusted users, thereby vastly improving the digital customer experience, strengthening retention, and increasing top-line revenue. Finally, with full ForgeRock Intelligent Access integration, you can eliminate the need to integrate disparate point solutions, achieving a faster time-to-value with no-code access orchestration while creating the right journey for each user.
Infusing the identity perimeter with AI and ML is the most significant breakthrough I've seen in fraud prevention, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing these capabilities to ForgeRock customers.
To learn more about ForgeRock Autonomous Access, please read the new white paper: