ForgeRock® Identity Gateway Deep Dive
The aim of this course is to showcase the key features and capabilities of the versatile and powerful edge security solution with the ForgeRock® Identity Gateway (IG) environment. It provides the student with the knowledge and confidence to manage their own environment. It is accepted that this course is not able to demonstrate all the features and capabilities of IG. Further information and guidance can be found in the documentation and knowledge base documents in the online repositories at: Backstage.
Note: Revision A of this course is based on version 7.2 of IG.
The following are the target audiences for this course:
- System Integrators
- System Consultants
- System Architects
- System Administrators
- Web Developers
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the role and use cases where IG fits within a ForgeRock Identity Platform™ solution, the basic concepts of IG, and how to perform a basic installation and configuration of IG.
- Use IG to protect a legacy application.
- Configure agentless single sign-on with IG, where authentication can be delegated to AM, including cross-domain, to an OIDC provider, or to a SAML2 Identity provider.
- Extend IG to support the retrieval of user profile attributes.
- Use IG as a policy enforcement point to protect a given web application, where AM is the policy decision point, and configure authentication step-up and transactional authorization.
- Protect a REST API using OAuth2-based solutions.
- Extend the solution using scripting.
- Prepare for production of an IG project by addressing maintenance, tuning, security, and deployment questions.
The following are the prerequisites to successfully completing this course:
- Basic knowledge and skills using the Linux operating system to complete labs
- Basic knowledge of HTTP and communications between clients and web applications is critical to understanding and working with IG
- Attendance at AM400 ForgeRock Access Management Core Concepts course or equivalent knowledge
Chapter 1: Integrating a web site and a legacy application with IG
Describe the role and use cases where IG fits within a ForgeRock Identity Platform solution, basic concepts of IG, and how to perform a basic installation and configuration of IG.
Lesson 1: Introducing ForgeRock Identity Gateway
- Provide an overview of IG
- Discuss IG use cases
- Present IG features
Lesson 2: Fronting a website with IG
- Show how IG acts as a reverse proxy
- Discuss proxying WebSocket traffic
- Describe installation requirements and install IG
- Use IG Studio to protect a website
- Examine IG configuration structure
Lesson 3: Routing and processing requests and responses
- Understand how IG routes requests depending on external conditions
- Describe how Handlers direct requests and responses within a route
- Explain how filters process requests and responses
- Implement password replay
Lesson 4: Understanding IG object model and logging
- Understand the IG object model
- Examine request, response, context, and session
- Use a CaptureDecorator to perform logging
- Configure the FileAttributesFilter
Chapter 2: Configuring Agentless Single Sign-On
Demonstrate how to integrate single sign-on in an IG solution by delegating authentication to either an AM solution, including cross-domain, an OIDC provider, or a SAML2 Identity provider.
Lesson 1: Implementing authentication with the SingleSignOnFilter
- Use Freeform technology preview to protect a website
- Configure an AM Service
- Describe the use of the SingleSignOnFilter
- Retrieve information from AM using the UserProfileFilter and SessionInfoFilter
Lesson 2: Configuring CDSSO for the legacy application
- Describe and implement a CrossDomainSingleSignOnFilter
Lesson 3: Performing SSO with IG as an OpenID Connect relying party
- Describe and implement an OAuth2ClientFilter
Lesson 4: Providing SSO with IG as a SAML2 service provider
- Describe and implement a SAML2FederationHandler
- Describe and implement a DispatchHandler
Chapter 3: Controlling access with IG as Policy Enforcement Point
Use IG as a policy enforcement point to protect a given web application, where AM is the policy decision point, using policies and policies with advice to provide authentication step-up and transactional authorization.
Lesson 1: Implementing authorization with a PolicyEnforcementFilter
- Describe and implement a PolicyEnforcementFilter
Lesson 2: Providing step-up authentication and transactional authorization
- Describe and implement step-up authentication
- Describe and implement transactional authorization
Chapter 4: Protecting a REST API
Use IG as an OAuth2 resource server to protect a REST API and demonstrate how the solution can be extended by using scripting
Lesson 1: Configuring IG as an OAuth2 resource server
- Describe and implement an OAuth2ResourceServerFilter
- List access token resolvers
- Observe the flow with the TokenIntrospectionAccessTokenResolver
Lesson 2: Extending functionality with scripts
- Describe the scripting framework for extending IG functionality
- Examine and implement dynamic scopes solution
Chapter 5: Preparing for production with IG
Highlight various areas that must be taken into account when preparing to go to production with an IG solution, such as maintenance, tuning, security, and deployment.
Lesson 1: Auditing, monitoring, and tuning an IG solution
- Describe and implement auditing
- Discuss monitoring
- Examine tuning questions
Lesson 2: Developing awareness of security questions with IG
- Discuss IG best practices regarding security
- Examine and implement common secrets
- Describe and implement throttling
Lesson 3: Deploying IG
- Describe and implement property value substitution
- Set up multiple IG instances